Sitecore 8 Install Error: “The name you entered is not unique.”
I was working on my business partner’s computer to help him fix errors with his Sitecore instance for his certification class. He experiencedÂ multiple issues with the Sitecore 8 installer on Windows 8 and we went the manual route ofÂ deleting Sitecore to install clean and start from scratch. In the process, we:
- Deleted the IIS website instance in the IIS Manager
- Deleted the databases used by the instance
- Deleted the root folder in the filesystem
After launching theÂ installer again, it kept returningÂ the error “The name you entered is not unique.” when naming the Sitecore instance to one previously used. After checkingÂ the IIS metabase and a few other typical locations, couldn’t figure out where the SitecoreÂ installer was finding the name since we deleted everything manually. It turns out that the Sitecore executable installer creates a registry entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sitecore CMS which is used to display information in Windows Programs and Features. ThisÂ registry keyÂ is also checked during the installation process and if a child key with the same nameÂ as the one being installed is found, the above error message is shown.
To fix this:
- Start -> Run (or Windows Key + R)
- Type regedit
- Navigate toÂ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sitecore CMS.
- Delete the registry keys containing the information about the previously installed instance.
NOTE: You’ll need to relaunch the installer as it apparently caches the key information.